DOROTHY MAY EMERSON, MINISTER
It is with sadness we share that Rev. Dr. Dorothy May Emerson passed away on May 13th, 2019. Dorothy was beloved in her community. Her life and works touched many. Her memoir “Sea Change: The Unfinished Agenda of the 1960s” was published just last year. We are grateful to have this glimpse of her life’s experiences and philosophies written in her own words.
A memorial service for Dorothy will take place on Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 10:00 am, Melrose Unitarian Universalist Church, 70 W Emerson St, Melrose, MA 02176. All welcome.
Rev. Dr. Dorothy May Emerson * November 20, 1943 – May 13, 2019
Dorothy was an ordained Unitarian Universalist minister. She co-founded Rainbow Solutions to promote socially responsible investing as an important tool for social change and to offer consulting services to support those who want their lifestyles and business practices, as well as their money, to reflect their core values.
Dorothy gave public lectures and leads seminars and worship services. She offered pastoral counseling and consults with individuals who want to change their relationship to money. Dorothy also performed weddings, funerals and memorial services, child dedications, and a variety of other special rituals. She specialized in interfaith ceremonies personally designed to suit your needs and reflect your values.
Dorothy has edited and published several feature articles and books. She also helped create a number of programs to help adults grow spiritually and gain insight into ways to implement their values in daily life.
- Sea Change: The Unfinished Agenda of the 1960s https://seachange1960s.net
- Glorious Women: Award-Winning Sermons about Women, iUniverse, 2004
- Standing Before Us: Unitarian Universalist Women and Social Reform, 1776–1936, Skinner House, 2000
- A Matter of Preference: A Book About the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, 4th ed., New Directions, 1986
- “Seeds of Opportunity,” UU World magazine, Spring 2006
- “The Microcredit Revolution,” UU World magazine, March/April 2005
- “Money and the Meaning of Life,” “Money and Relationships,” Natural Awakenings magazine, 2006
Adult Education Programs
- Becoming Women of Wisdom: Marking the Passage into the Crone Years, Rainbow Solutions, 2009, now published by UU Women and Religion, https://www.uuwr.org
- Global Literacy Project: Weaving a U*U Global Village Network, online curriculum, International Convocation of Unitarian Universalist Women, 2008
- Creating a Just Economic Community, six-session adult curriculum on economic justice, Unitarian Universalists for a Just Economic Community, 2001